Sandeep Ahuja & Co.

Established in the year 1986, we are a leading chartered accountancy firm based in Delhi & NCR rendering comprehensive professional services which include statutory audit, internal audit, direct tax, transfer pricing, GST, bank audit, propriety audit, cost accounting, internal financial controls and risk advisory.

Thursday, January 16, 2014

Correction in Tax Challans Paid online or physical

For rectifications in challans paid through online mode (internet challan)
Taxpayer may contact their concerned Assessing Officer (AO) of the Income Tax Department (ITD).
For correction - Contact TIN call centre at 020 - 27218080 or write to Indicating the subject of the mail as Online Payment of Direct Tax.
For rectifications in challans paid physically through Banks.
NSDL receives tax collection data as uploaded by the bank. NSDL is not authorized to carry out any changes in the data sent by the bank to TIN.
The fields that can be corrected by the Taxpayer through Bank are tabulated below:
Sl. No.
Type of Correction on Challan
Period for correction request (in days)
Within 7 days from challan deposit date
Assessment Year
Within 7 days from challan deposit date
Total Amount
Within 7 days from challan deposit date
Major Head
Within 3 months from challan deposit date
Minor Head
Within 3 months from challan deposit date
Nature of Payment
Within 3 months from challan deposit date
v  Any correction request initiated by the taxpayer after the time limit specified above shall be rejected by Bank.

 The tax-payer  has to submit a separate request form (in duplicate) for each challan to the concerned bank branch along with the following :
i. Copy of original challan counterfoil or Challan Copy
ii. copy of PAN card ( If correction desired for challans in Form 280, 282, 283)
 iv. The original authorization with seal of the non-individual taxpayer ( If correction desired for payments made by a tax-payer other than an individual)
The changes can be made by the banks, subject to following conditions:
i. Correction in Name is not permitted.
ii. Any combination of correction of Minor Head and Assessment Year together is not allowed.
iii. For a single challan, correction is allowed only once. However, where 1st correction request is made only for amount, a 2nd correction request will be allowed for correction in other fields.

iv. There will be no partial acceptance of change correction request, i.e. either all the requested changes will be allowed, if they pass the validation, or no change will be allowed, if any one of the requested changes fails the validation test.


  1. Thanks for details and know about pan card detail and if any change like Pan Card Name Change is required then go for it and get new copy of your pan card to make transactions.

  2. Hi i made online TDS Payment for AY Year 2017-18 instead of Selecting AY Year 2018-19 what is the procedure for rectifying the mistake please suggest me.

  3. There is no need of changing the year now you can adjust the challan for past 2 years and next 2 years whenever paid.